Monday, June 5, 2017

Book Review: The Rose and The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh | The Wrath and The Dawn #2

The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
"Sometimes the family you choose is stronger than blood."

That exact quote totally explains a lot about the story in this book. Family should be the one to care, to protect and to give love, not the one to betray and put you in harm. Sometimes we are more affectionate to the family we choose, whom we call friends, than those whom we share the same bloodline with.

This book is the much awaited conclusion to The Wrath and The Dawn If the first book is filled with the relationship build-up between Khalid and Shahrzad, this book is more mature and their relationship is much stronger than before. Though living separately, they must find a way to be together. But first, a curse must be broken and an upcoming war must be stop.

Everything in this book is so fascinating that you will feel like flying on top of a magic carpet, riding with the giant serpent and being burned by just touching the mystical book. The imagery that this book has brought to me truly feels lively.

Khalid truly deserved to be a Caliph. He may still be called a boy-king, but no one can deny the fact that he is truly a good leader. He does not only thinks of himself, of him as a ruler of a kingdom but he thinks as a true leader, a strategist with a heart and mind not consumed by politics.

Artan's introduction in this story signifies hope. With him on the scene, the fight of Shahrzad and Khalid to his curse just started. It gave reason to start believing that a happily ever-after is coming.

"When I was in the desert, I woke each day and carried on with my life
but it wasn't living, it was merely existing.
I want to live. You are where I live."
When facing an imminent danger, the fight between Khalid and Shahrzad in order to protect the other one is a heart-melting scene to read on. It truly proves what love can do for a person. Knowing Tariq saw that scene, truly made me feel for him. Him realizing that Khalid truly love Shahrzad, and Shahrzad does too in retun, I just want to hug and console him. That scene in itself I believe put an end to the love-triangle.

Jahandar - so consumed by hunger of power, I can't help but sympathize him. Yet the sacrifice at the end is well deserved for all the lives spent from the storm that he created.

There are a lot of betrayals and revelations that made me gasp and then a sudden twist came that totally surprised me and just like that it made me smile.

If at first I felt confused in the sudden changes of point-of-view in The Wrath and The Dawn, in this book, I totally appreciate them. The alliances that has been built between two former enemies to achieve a common goal is so magnificent and wonderfully created.

Women empowerment had totally been introduced in this book, from Shahrzad to Irsa to Despina and to Yasmine. All young and beautiful, but all powerful and smart with a heart for truth and for goodness.

The ending sort-of feels like to fast for me, but the way the story unfolds is undeniably beautiful. Shahrzad's match making is so interesting, but I can't help but thought of, what if? the couple would be an adorable match. And it would be an amazing happy ending for all. R.A have left the readers a thought to ponder on. So cute. :)

But I am still at lost for the reason why must the mystical book be destroyed for Artan's family's sake,  Although, I sort of think that what it did with Jahandar is the reason, I am still looking for a definite answer. Also, I was kind of hoping that Shahrzad's mystical ability will be shown more in this book, but unfortunately it is only short-lived.

Overall, this duology is beautiful and creatively done. My imagination has taken me in their wonderful world as they experience it. A perfect conclusion to a dark yet filled with love and magic but truly an amazing story.

Lead Characters:  "Shazi" Shahrzad al-Khayzuran and "Sayyidi" Khalid Ibn al-Rashid
Point of View: Multiple

Ratings
Hero: 5 stars
Heroine: 5 stars
Intimate scenes: 4 stars
Imagery: 5 stars
Setting: 4.5 stars
Narration: 5 stars
Dialogue: 5 stars
Plot: 5 stars
Climax: 5 stars
Ending: 5 stars
Story: 5 stars
Overall Rating: 5 stars

Do I recommend this book? Yes. Highly recommended.
Will I re-read this book? Definitely in the future.
Will I read other books from the same author? Most definitely.

The Wrath and The Dawn Duology Reading Order:


my read shelf:
Hey Gladz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment