Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Book Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | The Mortal Instruments #1

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | The Mortal Instruments Book 1
“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned:
that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.”

City of Bones is the first installment of The Mortal Instruments series that comprises of six books. Being introduced to the mystical world of Shadowhunters, Downworlders (Faeries, Warlocks, Vampires and Werewolves) and Mundanes (Humans) plus the appearances of evil demons truly gives a fascinating and intriguing feeling at the same time.

I know I'm a bit late on being introduced to the Shadowhunters world, but I got curious on this series because it kept on popping out of my book recommendation list. It is so immense, that I totally agree that neither one book nor one series is enough to explore their fascinating world.

"If you insist on disavowing that which is ugly about what you do,
you will never learn from your mistakes
."
Unlike any other books, thankfully, in the beginning of the book, there is no unnecessary intro to the life of the lead characters prior to the hero-heroine meeting. I truly believe that the first few pages of the book is such a deciding factor whether a reader will continue on reading. Though their life is still introduced, it is only shared along the way where it is only necessary.

As most of the time, heroines like Clary needs to be saved, or be stubborn enough to help others even though she is incapable of doing so. Although she seemed to be pretty vulnerable by this time because she just got introduced to that kind of world, I just find it amusing when she was able to kill a demon, the way she did it is quite unbelievable. I guess the way Clary fight of the demon in the movie is much better than what Clary did in the book.

"Not every thing that's true needs to be said."
Jace seemed to be the perfect warrior, the perfect model of musculinity and yet he is so self-absorbed. But the way his father have raised him, yes! he has taught him how to fight, but he still seemed to be a damaged boy.

I like the secondary characters - Luke, Isabelle, Alec and Magnus, Simon - oh! I just can't help but feel sorry for him. I don't see any love-triangle in the future as to this first book goes, Clary only see Simon as her best friend and treat him as a brother, so romance between them seemed off the chart.

"The real injuries were internal, hidden from every eye but his own."
The climax seriously? It made such a HUGE conflict! While reading towards the end, I am hoping that there will still be a major plot twist after a very huge plot twist, but it didn't come. Well, I guess I have to continue on reading the sequel to fully understand the story. I NEED to finish the series or else it will haunt me.

I watched the movie and it did not in any way give justice to the book. I love Lily Collins, and the special effects is cool, but the movie is so fast-paced and there are so many jumps that it is quite hard to understand if you haven't read the book. Tried watching the first episode of the TV show as well, and unfortunately, I did not like it as well. I don't see Clary and Jace in the actors that portray them in the show. Loved Isabelle, Alec and Magnus though. Other than that, I'm not interested in watching it. Anyway, this is a review on the book and not on the movie nor the TV show. But I just thought to share my thoughts on those too.

Overall, the concept of this book is truly spectacular. The use of latin languages are so cool and the build up of the scenery is fascinating. The sequence of events are amusing but there are just a bit of that feeling that there seemed to be a couple of filler to prolong the novel. However, after having read the sequels, I then realize that they may seemed to be a filler at first but it all occurred for a reason. All little details have been shared for the readers to properly imagine the book setting. There are a lot of witty banter and sarcastic exchanges that is quite amusing. It is full of action with a bit of humor that is unexpected but are very much welcomed.

Lead Characters: "Clary" Clarissa Fray and Jace Wayland
Point of View: Clary

Ratings
Hero: 4.5 stars
Heroine: 4.5 stars
Intimate scenes: 4 stars
Imagery: 4.5 stars
Setting: 4.5 stars
Narration: 4.5 stars
Dialogue: 4.5 stars
Plot: 4.5 stars
Climax: 4.5 stars
Ending: 4.5 stars
Story: 5 stars
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars

Do I recommend this book? Yes. But read it at your own risk. The plot twist may not be for everyone.
Will I re-read this book? Definitely in the future.
Will I read other books from the same author? Most definitely.

The Mortal Instruments Reading Order:
City of Bones | (The Mortal Instruments #1)
City of Ashes | (The Mortal Instruments #2)
City of Glass | (The Mortal Instruments #3)
City of Fallen Angels | (The Mortal Instruments #4)
City of Lost Souls | (The Mortal Instruments #5)
City of Heavenly Fire | (The Mortal Instruments #6)

my read shelf:
Hey Gladz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment