Thursday, June 8, 2017

Book Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare | The Mortal Instruments #2

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare | The Mortal Instruments Book 2
"Desire is not always lessened by disgust.
Nor can it be bestowed like a favor,
to those most deserving of it."

City of Ashes let us discover the world of the Downworlders more. If City of Bones features werewolves and a bit of vampires and warlocks, this book guided us to the world of faeries particularly the Seelie Court and a bit more to the world of vampires and the story behind their birth. The Seelie Court seemed fascinating, but beyond all beauty and glamour, they have ways to trick and to tempt anyone.

Having the knowledge of the lead characters being siblings make every romantic scene awkward. The forbidden romance seemed quite disturbing. An intense and passionate kiss had been exchanged, yet, I totally loved that part, if I set aside the knowledge of the incestuous relationship. I believe having that knowledge is the main reason I have doubts on completely liking this book.

"Love takes your choices away. It's a lot better than the alternative."
It felt like the love-triangle between Jace-Clary and Simon is not totally present but sort of forced to make believe that it is. Yes. Simon have called Clary his girlfriend, and Clary tried to divert her feelings toward him but the thing is I did not feel it. Simon did not seemed to be a threat at all. I actually feel sorry for him. He has this friend-zone vibe going on entirely. It feels like Clary used him to avoid her feelings toward Jace. But Simon's character development in this book is totally welcomed. It made him look less of a fragile mundane and more of a protective best friend. His realization toward the end makes me happy for him.

Though it has been clearly shown quite several times that Jace and Simon did not like each other in anyway, what Jace did for Simon is truly a mature thing for him to do. Yes, I know that he have done it for Clary, but it also proved how his character developed from being a sarcastic self-absorbed boy to a more mature and well-loved man.

Expect an action packed climax! That's how it should  be done in the first place. City of Bones had some action scenes, but it lacks that spark that is expected of fantasy books, more so on paranormal ones. Valentine's evil character totally developed with this book, and has been witnessed and experienced by our leads first-hand and not just a story told based on the past.

The ending?? How dare it ends where it ended?! Just like what it did to me on City of Bones, it left me hanging. I punched the pillow beside me several times! Well, even without such a cliffhanger, I will still read the next book. But, I don't really like it when a book ends with such a cliffhanger, there are several ways to end a book on a lighter note, but this book did not provide that. It just made me mad - a feeling no one ever wanted whenever they finished reading a book. Well, I definitely have to start on the next book soon.

Lead Characters:  "Clary" Clarissa Fray and Jace Wayland
Point of View: Multiple

Ratings
Hero: 4.5 stars
Heroine: 4.5 stars
Intimate scenes: 4 stars
Imagery: 5 stars
Setting: 4.5 stars
Narration: 5 stars
Dialogue: 5 stars
Plot: 5 stars
Climax: 4.5 stars
Ending: 4.5 stars
Story: 5 stars
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars

Do I recommend this book? Yes.
Will I re-read this book? Definitely in the future
Will I read other books from the same author? Most definitely.

The Mortal Instruments Reading Order:
City of Bones | (The Mortal Instruments #1)
City of Ashes | (The Mortal Instruments #2)
City of Glass | (The Mortal Instruments #3)
City of Fallen Angels | (The Mortal Instruments #4)
City of Lost Souls | (The Mortal Instruments #5)
City of Heavenly Fire | (The Mortal Instruments #6)

my read shelf:
Hey Gladz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment