Sunday, June 11, 2017

Book Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare | The Mortal Instruments #3

Book Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare | The Mortal Instruments Book 3
"Knowing is better than not knowing. Every time."

City of Glass is the third installment to The Mortal Instruments book series. This book seemed to be the end of the first part of the series and it is way edgier than the first two. There are a lot to look forward to in this book so expect an action-packed epic battle, an unexpected alliance, and a highly anticipated revelation will came to light.

The story seemed fast since there are a lot of happenings but it is very well paced. The sudden changes of scenes can be easily understood. It felt like you are about to witness something you have been looking forward to but then they will keep you hanging for a couple of minutes to see another scene. The suspense feeling is very exciting as we witness each and every scene as they took place at the same time.

The development of all the characters in this series whether lead or secondary are fascinating to watch as they become the better version of themselves. It feels like they grow so fast in just a span of several weeks. And I must add, the romance between Alec and Magnus are so adorable. They are such a fascinating couple to watch.

As always, most heroines are very stubborn, that you'll just want to knock some sense into them. Clary is no different. She always does what she wants without even considering the opinion of others, even her loved-ones. But other than that, she had become a better heroine. Her being the center of the story conflict's resolution truly made her the heroine of the story.

"Doing the right thing
because you love someone sucks sometimes."
The thought on Jace's descent in the beginning of the book is troublesome. Of course I still hold on to that hope that he is not Clary's brother in the first place. But thinking of what Valentine did to his own son can make anyone sick. No wonder Clary's mother left him. Having that kind of knowledge made me sympathize Jace. But he used that knowledge to his advantage. Believing of what he thought he can do, it gave him courage and it made him braver. Jace's journey is wonderfully told that anyone who have read it will surely be amazed and felt the struggles he has faced.

A huge battle immediately set off in about halfway of the book. There are no dull moments, every scenes are well created and told. The feeling when a realization hit you and you'll just say - Oh yeah! that's right! or Oh, that's why!

Valentine has totally  proven his villain qualities. With the first two books, I kind of think that he is not totally unreasonable. But, well, I'm definitely wrong. This book has totally explain his evil motives. His deeds truly made him a monster in disguise.

"There is no pretending. I love you, and I will love you until I die,
and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."
Knowing that the lead characters are siblings kind of grossed me out at first. But I still hold on to that hope that they are not. Their story was told in a way that gives that feeling of wanting something so much of what you thought is forbidden and yet the desire is just too much that it feels so right. But most questions have been answered. And the most important one is concluded in this book.

The ending made me breathless. After all the characters have been through, they truly deserved a celebration. Seeing all the characters partied together are just totally captivating.

I enjoyed this book so much that after reading it, I still have that book hangover. It feels like I can't move on. I'm already overjoyed by just finishing the first part of this series. Maybe that's why I'm a bit hesitant to start on the second half of the series because I'm quite not sure if I'm ready yet to continue on. Knowing that another conflict will arise after a magnificent finale. It just feels not right.

C.C is such an amazing and excellent author. I know I'm a little behind her fandom, but it is never too late right?! This book series is very well thought-of and planned even though I only read the first three. Though it feels like this book is written with the intention of having it as a final installment of the book series, yet it's not. It makes sense that the first three books comprise only of the first part of the series. Yet,  I'm already content. I know there's still a couple of questions unanswered but they are enough for me to ponder on as of now.

Lead Characters:  "Clary" Clarissa Fray and Jace Wayland
Point of View: Multiple

Ratings
Hero: 5 stars
Heroine: 5 stars
Intimate scenes: 4.5 stars
Imagery: 5 stars
Setting: 4.5 stars
Narration: 5 stars
Dialogue: 5 stars
Plot: 5 stars
Climax: 6 stars
Ending: 6 stars
Story: 6 stars
Overall Rating: 5 stars

Do I recommend this book? Yes. Highly recommended to fantasy-paranormal-romance book lovers.
Will I re-read this book? Definitely in the future
Will I read other books from the same author? Most definitely.

The Mortal Instruments Reading Order:
City of Bones | (The Mortal Instruments #1)
City of Ashes | (The Mortal Instruments #2)
City of Glass | (The Mortal Instruments #3)
City of Fallen Angels | (The Mortal Instruments #4)
City of Lost Souls | (The Mortal Instruments #5)
City of Heavenly Fire | (The Mortal Instruments #6)


my read shelf:
Hey Gladz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment