Sunday, February 5, 2017

Book Review: Split by J.B Salsbury

Split by J.B Salsbury
"There are hearts big enough to love those who are different than them,
who are hard to understand.
And I, by some freak accident, found her."

The story started with a bang. It totally surprised me with that kind of opening. There's not enough time for me to prepare for the surprise JBS brought to me, to her readers. The prologue made me curious. It gave me so much interest to keep on reading. So I did, and then I'm hooked.

The story is an unconventional romance that tackles a controversial and sensitive mental health issue, that made me interested in reading it.

Lucas is a very intriguing character. Due to his dark past and scarred childhood, he was able to cope thru Gage, his alter ego. Gage is the protective badass side of him. Whereas the artistic Lucas is very reserved, scarred and yet very gentle and caring.

"You're impossible to walk away from."
I understand Lucas' attraction towards Shyann, she is the first one to understand him. She treated her fairly, she even tried to protect him, even if her life has been endangered by him.

But then, I find it quite hard to believe that Shyann immediately fell in love with Lucas knowing his mental health, his past and all the issues that came with it. I was hoping that there are more time to build up the relationship before Shyann admits her feelings toward Lucas.

I'm not fond of third party, even though they are not officially together, even though it is only such a short scene. I know he is confused, I know that Gage is totally dangerous but I just can't help it. I love Lucas, I love Gage. Each character has his own unique personality that makes me want to keep them both. But what Gage have done to make Shyann stay away from Lucas is unacceptable for me. I know in reality there are no perfection, JBS made sure that this story is no exception in so many ways. Luckily, those scenes has been overpowered by the revelations JBS has offered.

The revelations of Lucas' / Gage's past is so troublesome that just by reading it can make anyone's stomach turn. It is so unbelievable, and yet the thought of having a child endure that kind of torture gives me a heart burn. It is so unacceptable. It made me angry, furious even, that's why I totally can relate to Shyann's reaction after learning that.

The ending sort of feel like too fast for me. Everything happened so fast that I am kind of looking for more, other than that, the story just nailed it. It left me with a smile.

Split is a unique story that has a subtle intensity that in itself is worth reading. If you are looking for an unconventional, romance-thriller, stand-alone story, give this one a go and it might just capture your interest.

Lead Characters: Shyann Jennings and Lucas / Gage
Point of View: Shyann and Lucas / Gage

Ratings:

Hero: 4.5 stars
Heroine: 4.5 stars
Intimate scenes: 4 stars
Imagery: 4.5 stars
Narrative: 4 stars
Dialogue: 4.5 stars
Plot: 4.5 stars
Climax: 4.5 stars
Ending: 4 stars
Story: 5 stars
My Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
Do I recommend this book? Yes.
Will I re-read this book? Probably.
Will I read other books from this author? Definitely.


my read shelf:
Hey Gladz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment