Saturday, December 17, 2016

Book Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

PicsArt_12-08-10.39.11

"Life is real and sometimes it's ugly and you just have to learn how to cope."


C.H have done it again to me. I am absolutely lost for words...

After reading It Ends With Usthe story really lingered. I am so disappointed in me that that was the first time I ever read Colleen Hoover's book. I am totally missing out! She surely knows how to touch her reader's hearts and take it captive. I mentioned in my previous review that I'm not ready yet to feel the same emotions again but I can't help it. I'm really curious on what kind of emotions this book would bring. Therefore, I decided to give this one a go, and surely it only did not disappoint, but it also left me numb. This is a story of strength, of survival, of healing, of hope, and of learning how to forgive to find peace.

C.H have created a very brilliant plot. She have written it in a way that put a very vivid image in my head, that it made me felt that I'm right there with Sky as the story unfolds. It is not easy. It is so heavy. It is so heart-breaking, having to have that picture in my head and having to let my imagination wonder. The story is very dark, thankfully C.H made me see the light first to be able to see through it with the help of Holder.

Holder, all I can say is, AMAZING. Okay, please let me add more, it's not enough. His character is very mysterious and very passionate. He has the angst and an unpredictable temper that made him seem like a bad boy. But he's not. He may have done something not good but that doesn't make him bad. I love that even though he had been carrying with him the burden of his secrets, he still manages to be passionate and true to Sky. When all secrets are revealed, he supported Sky all the way.

The phrase you will never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice is very applicable to this story. The strength Sky have in such a young age is so admirable. Learning how to be brave when life gets tough, she is a definitely a survivor. Learning how to forgive and see the positive aspects of life, she is definitely incredible.

The intimate scenes may not be as bold and as thorough as other books may have but it truly delivered the intensity of the couple's emotions, the severity of their feelings and how passionate they are toward each other. They even have the very best of the best first kissing scene even without really kissing each other. That's how intense the scenes are! The words used by C.H are so wonderful that made me feel what they feel. She have made the intimate scenes artistically and tastefully done. Kudos!

The slow build up of their relationship have not prepared me for a very huge explosion. I already had several questions even from the start. I made several guesses, but then as the story unfolds, I am in disbelief. It is really terrifying to believe. It is traumatic. No one deserves to experience that.

C.H has a very distinct writing style that made me love her instantly. Every simple detail, and every piece of the story that may have seemed unimportant at first have made everything so much sense when the secrets are revealed. Every connections and every scenes, they matter. The story is very heavy and yet C.H have made me enjoy the beauty of the couple's romance first before revealing her very shocking surprises.

This book have a very deeply emotional twists and turns, it is very intense, gut wrenching and heart breaking. It gave me chills all over my body. I swear. When I thought that all the secrets are revealed, I came unprepared when there's more. It left me in a total shock. I felt their sorrow, their pain, their anger, their fury. I felt the intensity of their emotions. I can't keep up.

The story tackles a very mature and disturbing scenarios that made me believe it should only be made available to mature audience.

Thinking about the story, there are certain things in life that made us wonder why. Looking for answers, even knowing that, words are not enough. But in reality, words may be heard, but will never be comprehended. No amount of explanation can justify a wrongful act.

Lead Characters: "Sky" Linden Sky Davis and Dean Holder
Point of View: Sky

Ratings:
Hero: 5 stars
Heroine: 5 stars
Intimate scenes: 5 stars
Imagery: 5 stars
Narrative: 5 stars
Dialogue: 6 stars
Plot: 5 stars
Climax: 6 stars
Ending: 5 stars
Story: 5 stars
My Overall Rating: 5 stars


Do I recommend this book? Yes. Highly Recommended.
Will I re-read this book? Probably not. The book is very worth reading for the first time. However, I think I am not capable of letting myself experience the same kind of emotions I felt if I will read it again.
Will I read other books from this author? Most definitely

my read shelf:
Hey Gladz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

No comments:

Post a Comment